Looking into how the composition of air has changed over the years, I realised that in todays world, we are practically surrounded by wireless signals all the time. Smartphones, Routers, Telecom Operators and all other gadgets that operate wirelessly communicate with each other via Radio Frequency signals. The presence of these signals has made the air much “denser” when it comes to Electromagnetic Frequencies. As these frequencies have now grown to a point where the entire population (human and wildlife both) are exposed to some degree of exposure to such signals, there is a lot of studies and research being undertaken to determine the long-term impacts that they have on the environment and consequently, us.
Arriving at the Problem
I came across a rare health phenomenon known as “Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity” or EHS for short. Reading through several papers published by the World Health Organization, it was clear to me that even though there isn’t yet an established link between the symptoms of EHS and EMF on a biological level, it is still a very real possibility and an extremely alarming one at that.
The International EMF Project has been established by WHO as a platform to provide a coordinated international response to concerns about possible health effects on exposure to EMF. The EMF project holds a meeting at least once every year which sees participation from many countries across the world including India. This gave me the basis of my project, and a goal to work towards: To build public awareness about the common concerns and current issues with RF technology.
Under WHO, I wanted to produce a motion infographic which showcased the current situation and knowledge of RF that is issued in Public Interest. The foundation of my motion graphic would be an “elevator pitch” of the International EMF Project. Something they could showcase on their online portals and communicate to the public what the project was all about. Going through some short explainers for a few other brands I decided to condense my pitch to no more than 90 seconds and started working on the script. The concept here was more serious than casual, which is why I felt the need for an authoritative and neutral tone of voice.
Scene-by-scene, I sketched out how the script will play out and described the visuals. Exploring different ways of presenting information and working out transitions. My main goal was to explore how information could be conveyed by basic geometric shapes and typography using motion.
Once I was happy with my script and storyboarding, I starting to think about the colours, typography and other visual elements I would use in the project. I created a few of my scenes in illustrator and focused on styling them as they would appear in the final product.