International EMF Project

Motion Design

A motion infographic explainer for the International EMF Project

Assignment Brief

Our objective was to derive a design project based on any one of the five classical elements: Fire, Water, Air, Earth or Aether, and execute it. As this semester was about to close out for the holidays, I wanted this to be a short, fun project where I’d get to learn and experiment with a new skill. The classical elements provided me a broad base from which I started to think, eventually settling on the element Air.

Research

Looking into how the composition of air has changed over the years I realised that in today’s world, we are practically surrounded by wireless signals all the time. Smartphones, Wireless Routers, and all other gadgets that operate wirelessly communicate with each other via Radio Frequency signals. The presence of these signals has made the air much “denser” with Electromagnetic Frequencies. They have now grown to a point where the entire population including human and wildlife, are exposed to some degree of exposure to such signals. And so, there are a number of studies and research being undertaken to determine the long-term impacts that they have on the environment.

Arriving at the Problem

Reading through several papers on the topic, I came across the International EMF Project, which has been established by WHO as a platform to provide a coordinated international response to concerns about possible health effects on exposure to EMF. However, the homepage of the project at https://who.int/emf doesn’t make it quite clear at first glance. In fact, for first-time visitors to the project page, there isn’t any context provided at all. This gave me the basis of my project, and a goal to work towards: to communicate what the project was.

Conceptualization

Through a short motion infographic, I wanted to create an “elevator pitch” for the International EMF Project. Something they could showcase on their online portals and communicate to visitors what the project was all about. Going through some short explainers for a few other brands I decided to condense my pitch to no more than 90 seconds and started working on the script. The concept here was more serious than casual, which is why I felt the need for an authoritative and neutral tone of voice.

Ideation

Scene by scene, I sketched out how the script will play out and described the visuals. Visualizing different ways of presenting information and working out the transitions. My main goal was to explore how information could be conveyed by basic geometric shapes and typography using motion.

Visual Style

Once I was happy with my script and storyboarding, I starting to think about the colours, typography and other visual elements I would use in the project. I created a few of my scenes in Adobe I llustrator and focused on styling them as they would appear in the final product.